Résumé of David M. Merchant
Updated 23 September 2009
- Graduate Certificate, Technical Writing, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana; August 2009.
- M. A., English Literature, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana; August 2006.
- M. S., Information Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Tennessee (ALA accredited); May 1997.
- Graduate study, English Literature, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee; August 1992 - May 1994.
- B. A., English Literature, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee; May 1992.
- Certification, Naval Nuclear Power School, Orlando, Florida, October 1983 - April 1984.
AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Instructor of English, Louisiana Tech University. Teach three to four Freshman Compositon courses each quarter, including online courses. September 2006 - Present.
- School of Language and Literature Technology Coordinator, Louisiana Tech University. Assist in updating School webpage, help faculty use Blackboard, assist faculty in using computer labs, help with computer maintenance and repairs including ensuring hardware and software are functional, create help sheets regarding software when needed, investigate new technologies as they apply to the School. September 2008 - present.
print pictures from digital cameras; create Web photo albums for selected photos; create and burn copies of specialized CD-ROMs for CATALyST; assist with layout and editing of brochures in both print and PDF formats;
write book on chemistry careers in Louisiana; Supervise student workers. September 2002 - October 2006.
- Graduate Assistant, Computing and Administrative Systems (CAS), Training and Documentation Services, University of Tennessee. Answer Computer Based Training, Enhanced Remote Access, HTML, and Web related questions on the CAS Help Line; assist with Web page construction and maintenance; assist with PERL programming; December 1996 - May 1997.
- Database Technician Student Librarian Assistant, Collection Development and Management at UTK Hodges Library. Create, revise and assist in maintaining Collection Development pages; write and adapt CGI scripts in PERL including a Web bulletin board and a journals bibliographic database; August 1996 - May 1997.
- Graduate Assistant, UTK Computer Store. Assist customers in selecting hardware/software, assist customers in the setting up and use of their purchases, install memory in customers' computers; assist students with establishing email accounts and use of the computers in the UTK Computer Store's computer lab; August 1996 - December 1996.
- Web master, Southeastern Transportation Center, University of Tennessee. Create Web pages, write PERL scripts; June 1995 - May 1997.
- Graduate Student Librarian Assistant, Level III, Training and Staff Development Department at UTK Hodges Library. Create and maintain Web pages, write PERL scripts, perform computer maintenance (including back-ups) and trouble-shooting, install software, maintain class registration database and confirmation lists; August 1995 - August 1996.
- Graduate Student Librarian Assistant, Serials Department at the UTK Law Library. Check-in, update, weed, and shelve serials; maintain vertical files; assist patrons in locating items; May - August 1995.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, UTK School of Information Sciences (SIS). Monitor SIS Computer Labs, assist students with the Internet, Wide World Web, HTML authoring, on-line database searches, and word processing; maintain and update Computer Labs' libraries; January - May 1995.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, UTK School of Information Sciences. Updated databases; assist professor with preparation of instructional materials, search local and remote OPAC's, order and pick up materials via Inter-Library Loan; August - December 1994.
- Volunteer Librarian, Knoxville Sexual Assault Crisis Center. Organize and maintain professional and client video and book libraries, perform various clerical duties; January 1990 - February 1995.
- Opinion-Editorial Writer, UT Daily Beacon; August - December 1992.
- Electrician Petty Officer First Class, US Navy. Electrical Operator Naval Nuclear Propulsion Plant, Electrical Load Dispatcher, Assistant Leading Petty Officer of Electrical Distribution Shop, Leading Petty Officer of Flight Deck Lighting Shop. Honorable discharge; November 1982 - November 1988 active duty, May 1990 - May 1992 reserves.
WEB PAGES PORTFOLIO
- "The Prologue to the Lais of Marie de France as a Ciceronian Exordium," Mississippi Philological Association Conference, Mississippi College, Clinton, MS (25 January 2008).
- "The Hero Returns: The Double Adventure Plot of Marie de France's Guigemar," Fourth Annual Louisiana Consortium of Medieval and Renaissance Scholars 2006, Natchitoches, Louisiana (14 October 2006).
- Chemistry Careers in Louisiana, CATALyST (published February 2004).
- Computer and software install and configuration manuals for Prescott Memorial Library (2000 - 2002).
- "The Trouble With Color," Library Computing Journal, Vol 18 no 3. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 2000. 208 - 212.
- "The Impulse to Nurture in Marie de France's Lai Le Fresne," South Eastern Medieval Association Conference '99, Knoxville, Tennessee (October 1999).
- "The Double Adventure Plot of Marie de France's Guigemar," 33rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, Michigan (May 1998).
- HTML Examples: The Hardcopy Version, School of Information Sciences, University of Tennessee, July 1997.
- "Best Individual Technical Project Award for Superior Research & Development 1996-1997," School of Information Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville for my HTML Tags Examples Pages: www.mountaindragon.com/html.
- Web pages I am presently working on or maintaining:
- Selected retired Web pages, or pages now maintained by another Web master (full list and screenshots available by request):
- CATALyST: Center for Applied Teaching and Learning to Yield Scientific Thinking Web sites (September 2002 - October 2006):
My designs are still being used as of last update to this resume.
- A Comparison of Excite! and WebCrawler Search Engines -- retired. www.mountaindragon.com/archives/SEARCH/scover.htm (December 1996).
- GK-12 Graduate Fellows Program (funded by the National Science Foundation): gk12.latech.edu/. My design is still being used as of last update to this resume.
- HTML Assistant V 1.4 Tutorial -- retired: www.mountaindragon.com/archives/assist/assist.html(January 1995 - August 1996).
- Knoxville Gem & Mineral Society (KGMS): www.korrnet.org/kgms/ (December 1996 - February 1998). KGMS used my design until 2008.
- Mockingbird: An experimental journals database developed by Cooperative Information Services and the University of Tennessee Libraries (I participated in the HTML coding and PERL scripting), retired late 1997 and no longer accessible. scholar.lib.utk.edu/mockingbird/ (January - May 1997).
- Prescott Memorial Library (PML) at Louisiana Tech (September 1998 - September 2002). PML used my design until 2006.
Return to Home Page
- Member, National Council of Teachers of English, 2008 - present.
- Member, Ruston Community Theater Board; 2007 - 2009.
- Vice-President, LA Tech Faculty and Staff Club; 2006 - present.
- Member, Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society; 2005 - present.
- Member, North American Jules Verne Society; 2000 - 2004, 2009 - present.
- Member, Association of College and Research Libraries; 2000 - 2002.
- Member, South Eastern Medieval Association; 1999 - 2001, 2006 - present.
- Member, International Marie de France Society; 1997 - present.
- Member, School of Information Sciences Student Coordinating Council; 1994 - 1995.